- please let me know if there are any errors in the answer key.
Build an Atom
- PhET simulation from the University of Colorado. Build an atom out of protons, neutrons, and electrons, and see how the element, charge, and mass change. Then play a game to test your ideas!
Element Math Game
- Calculate the number of protons, neutrons or electrons in an atom based on information from the Periodic Table of Elements.
Naming and Formula Writing Practice
- practice with naming and formula writing for ionic (monovalent, multivalent, polyatomic) and covalent compounds.
Balancing Chemical Equations
- PhET simulation from the University of Colorado. How do you know if a chemical equation is balanced? What can you change to balance an equation? Play a game to test your ideas!
Element Balancing Game
- Practice balancing chemical equations by picking the correct coefficients.
Isotopes and Atomic Mass
- PhET simulation from the University of Colorado. Are all atoms of an element the same? How can you tell one isotope from another? Use the sim to learn about isotopes and how abundance relates to the average atomic mass of an element.
How to Speed Up Chemical Reactions (and get a date)
- 4:55 minute animated video showing 5 factors (In class we talked about 4 of them) that affect reaction rate and what conditions are required for reactions to occur.